CAC seeks to improve quality of life for those with asthma through advocacy, education and collaboration.
CAC brings together medical and public health professionals, business leaders, government agencies, community-based organizations, and individuals dedicated to raising awareness of asthma and improving quality of life for those living with asthma.
The specific goals are to:
- raise awareness that asthma is a serious disease,
- improve asthma care by promoting evidence-based guidelines for treatment of asthma,
- link patients, caregivers and the broader community to asthma research, education, and other resources,
- promote continued research into the causes, treatment and management of asthma,
- increase asthma-friendly policies in schools, homes and communities, and
- increase knowledge of effective ways to manage asthma.
Formed in 1996 (by American College of Chest Physicians and Respiratory Health Association) to coordinate the activities of asthma stakeholders across the Chicago area, CAC is the only local coalition dedicated solely to improving the lives of those living with asthma in the Chicago area and is one of the oldest and largest asthma coalitions in the country.